Her Royal Highness

My photo
Lambertville, New Jersey
Well what can be said about me...I like shoes, pink, key lime pie, the beach, laughing at you or with you, and traveling. I don't like raspberries, mushrooms, or people that are stupid, creepy, or drive really slowly in front of me. I love my Mikimotos like I might love my first born child...I don't have kids yet though so one never knows. I wear a tiara when I clean and sometimes just because I like it. I have light up bunny ears that I wear sometimes too...sometimes a girl just needs to sparkle a little, you know?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Rehearsal

Ever continuing my wedding stories, on Friday in Santa Fe we had some down time before the rehearsal. In essence this means that while other folks dealt with tequila induced hangovers (go me - no hangover), I walked all about Santa Fe to "see some sites" before we had girl time for nails and then the rehearsal and dinner.

Luckily for me my hotel was right in the downtown area of Santa Fe, so I could walk to the aforementioned sites. To begin with I walked down to the Bascilica Cathedral St. Francis Assisi, which is one of the few non-adobe buildings in Santa Fe. To say that Santa Fe is filled with churches of the Catholic persuasion is sort of like saying Napa is filled with vineyards. At times it seemed as though one could not swing a cat without hitting a church. But I digress.

There was a lovely park next to the Cathedral. More importantly just up the street was the most wonderful store in all the world! It is called "Crown Jewels" and it specialized in the jewelry of local artists AND tiaras. Now anyone who knows me knows how I love a good tiara. You walk into the place and they encourage you to wear a tiara while you browse! I LOVED this store. Needless to say I purchased the cutest little tiara after trying on every single one in the store....it's an important decision you know.

After my oh so important purchase I wandered forth to the Chapel Loretto, which has this amazing staircase (google it for the story). The chapel was lovely and the staircase is just amazing when you know that it was originally constructed with no supports or banisters and just sprang up over night. From there I wandered down to the San Miguel Church, which is the oldest building in the U.S. to be used as a church, with the original adobe structure constructed initially in the 1600s. Look at me having an educational experience!

We eventually went for girly time and got our nails done, during the course of which all hell broke loose when a major thunderstorm rolled up out of nowhere. It POURED and I really think this was confusing to many people, as they all looked about with bewildered expressions on their faces...like they'd never seen rain before. Desert smesert, it rained there. :)

We then all ran like hell to get ready for the rehearsal...ya know, the practice wedding. I loved being able to walk to the hotel, which was quite lovely. The wedding part was to be on the terrace, so alas that is where we practiced. Despite the earlier rain it was hot as hell on the terrace, luckily I was a smart member of the pale nation and had slattered on the SPF 30 before heading down to the practice. There was a lot of standing about...Ursula and I managed to behave ourselves quite well, I must say. Once it was over we headed for drinky-poos at the Pink Adobe before heading to the rehearsal dinner.

Post-dinner we went for more drinky-poos at the Inn at Loretto, which was quite charming, and was the setting for the inappropriate statue photo opportunities during the bachelorette party. Needless to say more fun was had with the statues. Honestly, if you errect a 15 foot man with the loin cloth how can you really expect me to refrain from climbing on him, making inappropriate gestures in photos with him, and sticking my head up his loin cloth? What else is one supposed to do with said statue? Besides, if you REALLY didn't want me to play on him you wouldn't have put stepping stones in the fountain to allow me to get onto his base. So blame yourself, not me. Statuary disgrace was followed with a pomegranate lemonade (YUMMY), group bonding, and overall hilarity.

We then determined to host an "after-party" in the girl's condo. I went to pick up my car (and my tiara) before heading to the condo. I must say that I was wearing the tiara with capri pants and a polo shirt, and not one damn person gave me a 2nd glance. Per Kate "the tiara just looks natural on you, not out of place" so I guess this further affirms my royal bearing. Some sort of inappropriate and loud game of adult-like charades followed, and we learned that the bridesmaids as a group are freakishly smart and that the girls kicked the boys asses. After a certain level of intoxication was reached by many, Cory came back to the hotel with me for her last night as a single lady. We had a grown up slumber party and got a good night's sleep in preparation for the wedding.

No comments: